I love weekends because they are filled with lots of family time, rest, and relaxation, and are generally less structured and hurried than my weekdays. While I like to spend as much time as possible soaking it up, I find that my weeks go smoother and I’m much more productive if I carve out some time on Sunday to dedicate to planning my week. When I do that, I’m ready to hit the ground running on Monday morning because I’m launching my week from an empowered place. I also dedicate some time to self-care to make sure I’m keeping my pitcher full.
Here are some ideas for self-care and setting yourself up for success in the coming week:
Stock the fridge with high-nutrient foods
Before my grocery store run, I spend some time meal-planning and choose some healthy nutritious and delicious weeknight meals to make.
- Grocery shopping – stock up on nutritious ingredients
- Food prep – spend time cutting up fresh fruits and veggies so you have healthy go-to snacks to grab on the run
Get organized for the next day
- Prepare lunches and snacks
- Pack bags (e.g. activity bags, gym bags) and put near door
- Put any outgoing paperwork or mail by the door
Master to-do list
I always have a running master to-do list handy that contains the following categories, and refer to it during my calendar/scheduling time (below).
- Around the house
- Shopping/online ordering
Calendar and Scheduling
The first thing I do before I look at my calendar for the week is revisiting my personal and professional initiatives, and make conscious decisions about what I want to and need to schedule time for in the coming week. I’ve listed a few categories to consider as design your week:
- Connections (staying in touch with friends and family)
I always dedicate some time to self-care in the evenings. My routine promotes restful sleep and ensures that I’m giving my body the nurturing it needs and deserves.
- Epsom salt bath
- Facial mask
- Exfoliate skin
- Prepare your bedroom for optimal sleep
- Essential oil diffuser – Lavender is my favorite calming scent
- Eliminate screen time – turn off phones, computers, TVs, and other electronic devices
- Turn off lights and close window treatments
- Turn down the thermostat and/or open a window to let cool air in
- Herbal tea – Enjoy a calming tea during your Sunday night routine
- Turmeric “tea” – Turmeric has numerous health benefits. I dissolve 1 teaspoon of turmeric in hot water and add some black pepper, which activates the turmeric.
- Get in bed! I love to unwind with my journal and notepad, and jot down whatever comes to mind. This is a great time to reflect on the prior week, practice gratitude, and revisit the ways in which you are nourishing your mind, body, and spirit.
- Review to-do list for the week
- Cozy up with a book
- Meditation before bed – You can either listen to a guided meditation or meditate on your own. This is a great time to practice visualizing the reality you want to create for yourself.
If you live with other people such as a partner or children, enlist their help with any or all of the above. It’s always more fun to do what we love with those we love.