Authentic Leadership: Nourishing Your Body

I believe that in order to be the best leader you can be, you need to feel good in your body.  The way you feel affects everything – your mindset, your energy levels, and how you show up in general.

If you’re anything like me, or many of the other execs I coach, your commitment to health and wellness has ebbed and flowed over the years – sometimes you’re hitting the gym hard and eating clean.  Then, life gets busy, workouts fall by the wayside, and healthy eating goes to hell in a handbasket.

I get it.  I’m no stranger to this pattern.

My guess is that you probably already know what you should and shouldn’t be doing, so I’m not going to give you a checklist of things you already know.

Over the last couple of decades, on my own personal health and wellness journey, I’ve discovered some game-changing concepts that have helped me prioritize nourishing my body in a way that sticks.  So this week, I’m going to share these truths with you in the hopes that some or all may hit a little differently and spark a deeper desire to prioritize nourishing your body.

Taking Care of Your Body Can Be Simple

Taking care of your body doesn’t need to be complicated.  You don’t need gadgets, gizmos, weight loss gimmicks or trendy diets.  Cardio 3x per week, resistance training 2x per week, eating plants most of the time, getting good sleep, and hydrating.  That’s about it.

Every Time You Eat You’re Either Fueling Disease or Fighting It

Disease can’t live in an alkaline environment.  It’s biologically not possible.  You can keep your body alkaline by choosing the right foods.

90/10 Rule

You don’t need to be a health freak 100% of the time.  Do the right things 90% of the time.  The other 10% – eat the cake. Have the drink.  Smoke the cigar.  Enjoy life.  It’s what you do the majority of the time that drives your health.  And whatever you choose – make sure it’s fucking amazing.  You didn’t come here to live in a state of sacrificing your whole life.

Food Is Our Fuel and Our Medicine

Food isn’t just a means to satisfy hunger; it’s our fuel that gives us the energy that we need and our medicine.  The majority of pharmaceuticals are derived from plants, so why not “treat” illnesses before they even materialize by getting in front of it and avoiding the diagnosis altogether?

You Are What You Eat

Your body replaces its cells using the food you eat as the building blocks.  What you eat, you become.

Invest Now or Pay Later

Nobody can escape the consequences of poor choices forever.  Sooner or later, you’re gonna need to pay the piper.  Either invest now in organic groceries, going to the gym, spending time nourishing your body, or pay later for chronic health problems and health crises.

Nourishing Our Bodies Is an Honor, Not an Obligation

Isn’t it amazing that we live in an age where so much information is available to us, and we can educate and empower ourselves to make choices that honor our bodies and literally add quality years to our life?  With the right mindset, it can feel like a privilege.

I help my execs take care of their bodies in a number of different ways.  Sometimes I help them make grocery lists of healthy ingredients to keep on hand.  Sometimes I give them simple recipes to make.  And sometimes, they want me to keep them accountable.  I meet you where you are and provide the support you need most.

If any of these ideas intrigue you and you want to learn how to incorporate them into your life, please reach out.  I’d love to help you.

And stay tuned for my next article, where we explore nourishing your mind.